During a 37 day tour of the Philippines, one of the things that i took note of is particular pieces of gear used during the trip (check out the first entry here https://pedalpowerphilippines.com/2017/04/05/biketouring-the-philippines-preliminaries-and-leg-1-manila-to-matnog-sorsogon/). One of which is the Ortlieb bikepacking framebag (you can check the specs here https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Frame-Pack/). Ortlieb is one of the premiere companies providing quality touring bags for decades and its 100% waterproof! Similar to their panniers, the framebag uses the same fabric -PU laminated ripstop nylon-light, strong and durable.
There are a couple of features that makes the framebag an excellent piece of equipment for tours:
- adjustable straps to adapt to different frame designs and uses a combination of velcro and smooth cloth protecting your frame.
- The straps are robustly made-assuring you that you wont have problems making sure your framebag stays in place.
- The single compartment design with internal velcro strap prevents complicated use and even bulging when loaded.
- I particularly like this framebag as it fits the small Surly Troll perfectly and other similarly sloping downtube bikes in the market (i got the medium sized version)
- The heavy duty zipper is not only waterproof but can be locked when closed making sure that rain will not enter the bag.
- The medium size that i got can fit about 4 liters of gear. In the case of the tour, i placed all my personal stuff, gadgets, small items and even a small tab and fits perfectly.
- During the tour, we experienced light to heavy rain and several boat trips and my gear remained dry throughout the trip.
I got my framebag from Green Basikal in Singapore (https://www.facebook.com/theGreenBasikal/). You can check out other online shops for this item